Saturday 14 April 2007

1st Sunroof installed

I bought a Peugot 106 sunroof from 1st Choice Vehicle Dismantlers in Tremorfa Ind Est, Cardiff for £20.

I saw quite a few but only wanted the tinted glass version and they only had one available. As it turned out the item was very easy to remove and I used the hole left to make a template at the breakers.

Installation required removing the plastic/overlay and cutting the jigsaw hole by using the template I previously made. I stopped the drumming by taping the bottom of the jigsaw and the edges of the hole as I cut.
The template didn't work out as planned, so I had to use the metal frame to redraw and cut a little extra. I didn't get the flush fit I was looking for by doing this but as I intended to seal it with Sikaflex this didn't concern me. I was pretty sure it would be leak proof with a generous amount of Sika on the rim.


With leaks in mind, I then perhaps put too much Sika on the rim and had trouble scrapping it off the exposed paintwork.
Reinstalling the headlining was easy enough by using a stanley to cut it to shape and remount the 106 covering. Looks great!

I fully intend to install another (when I find a tinted one) in the back and have learnt some good tricks. I'm sure the next one will be easy to mount with the knowledge and skills I have learnt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a note for future reference. Whilst the sikaflex has not gone off use a damp rag or sponge to remove any excess. It comes away nice and easy this way and leaves a good finish.

I used to work in the boatbuilding industry and used sikaflex daily this is the best method.

If it has gone off then the best method is a razor blade and some careful scraping

Hope this is useful for you or anyone else attempting this.

ERU: said...

Cheers for the tip. I did try some water but I think having the correct material to rub with is important too. Will give it a better go next time.